I’ve collected quite a few links during the last weeks while teaching myself Objective-C and Cocoa touch for iOS development. I know Java and several scripting languages so I was looking for some good summaries and overviews aimed at developers to get me started.
This is a random collection of some helpful resources and tools which will hopefully help you learn Objective-C effectively.
- Apple’s Developer Center
- Apple: Learning Objective-C: A Primer
- Apple: Introduction to The Objective-C Programming Language
- Apple: Cocoa Fundamentals Guide
- Apple: Object-Oriented Programming with Objective-C
- Stack Overflow has answers to many questions I had
- Cocoa Dev Central: Learn Objective-C and C Language Tutorial for Cocoa
- iPhone Development Emergency Guide
- Intro to C Pointers and Dynamic Memory
- Welcome, new Cocoa or Cocoa Touch programmer.
- Memory Management with Objective C / Cocoa / iPhone
- Singletons, AppDelegates and top-level data.
- How To Use UIView Animation Tutorial
Tools, Code and Fremaworks
- Cocoa Documentation Viewer Ingredients (better than the built-in one provided by Xcode)
- speedlimit and slowmo, you’ll need these while testing in the simulator
- Great code and frameworks by Matt Legend Gemmell (including MGTwitterEngine)
- UITableViewCell with “copy” ability
- three20 (the Facebook app framework)
Some Apple documents are available on the iBookstore for free. Just search for Apple Developer Publications in iBooks.